Aaaand it’s finally here.. At the beginning of this year, I promised to make and upload a meal plan for you guys. And here it is – Meal Plan Week 1. Every week on FRIDAY I’m going to upload a meal plan for a week, that way over the weekends you can get all your groceries and start cooking on Monday.
For the entire month of January, I tried out new recipes. Some of them you will find in my meal plans, some of them I’m not going to cook again. My Family and I (me, my husband and 2 kids..well, 1 kid..another one is too small to eat real food) started to follow the meal plans that I’m going to post here in January and so far we’re really enjoying this process :-)). Also, because I have 2 little ones, I don’t have much time being in the kitchen, following looooong recipes that can take an hour or more to cook, so I stick with easy recipes, and with ingredients that we all know and are familiar with, and that are very accessible. So I really hope you like this meal plan, because I tried my best to make it good… Also, it’s not all 100% clean eating meals, you’ll see pizza and hamburgers here and there, but it’s homemade and definitely healthier than the ones you buy at the restaurant.
P.S. If you want to share some delicious recipes with me, I’d like to try them out. You can either email or tweet (@SohnBearden) them to me, or use hashtag #livingwithjane_mealplan …
Below is the meal plan that you can download to your computer if you want and print it out, or you can pin it, if you’d like!! ↓
Also, at the end of this post, you will find a Bonus Recipe for a dessert!! I’ll try to put a new dessert recipe every week. because we all need a little something sweet in our lives!! <3
- Dry oatmeal – 1 cup
- Green Apple – 1 (diced)
- Sliced Almonds – 1TBSP
- Non-fat Greek Yogurt – 1 cup
- Dried Cranberries – 1/4 cup
Mix ingredients together and chill overnight. Makes 2 servings.
Honey – ginger Grilled Salmon
- In a large self-closing plastic bag, combine ginger, garlic, soy sauce, orange juice, honey, and green onion; mix well. Place salmon in bag and seal tightly. Turn bag gently to distribute marinade. Refrigerate for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat and lightly oil grate. (*I cooked it on a skillet)
- Remove salmon from marinade, shake off excess, and discard remaining marinade. Grill for 12 to 15 minutes per inch of thickness, or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 cups cubed pumpkin (or acorn squash or butternut squash)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 – 28oz can whole tomatoes, crushed
- 4 cups water
- 1 – 15 oz. can cannellini beans
- 1 cup gluten-free macaroni, preferably a brown rice pasta
- ½ lb. green beans trimmed and cut into 1 inch lengths
- 1 head kale, de-stemmed and torn into bite sized pieces
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil to a large soup pot over medium heat. Add in the onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add in the carrots, celery, and pumpkin. Sauté another 5 minutes or until the celery is tender and the other vegetables begin to soften. Add in the tomato paste, salt, black pepper, Italian seasoning, and crushed red pepper flakes. Sauté, stirring, until the spices are fragrant and the tomato paste darkens in color.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes with their juice and the water. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Add in the cannellini beans and their liquid, the green beans, and the macaroni. Simmer for 7 minutes or until the pasta is al dente. Add in the kale, parsley, basil, and remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Shut off the heat and stir to combine. Let the soup sit, covered, for 10 minutes or until the kale has wilted slightly. Spoon into bowls and serve.
- 1 banana
- 2 eggs
Mash 1 banana, then add 2 eggs. And cook on a pan like regular pancakes. Makes 2 servings.
Tortilla Ham Wrap
- Whole wheat tortilla
- Ham or turkey
- Cheese (any)
- Your choice of veggies (olives, bell pepper, cucumber, tomato etc.)
- Dijon mustard (or any other dressing of your choice)
Place tortilla on a plate, spread a layer of spinach, add all other ingredients and wrap it.
Omelet with veggies
- Olive oil
- Bell pepper
- Eggs – 2
- Salt and pepper
Chop up some veggies. Preheat a little olive oil on a skillet, add spinach and cut up veggies, cook them until they get softer. Meanwhile, break 2 eggs in a bowl, add some milk, and whisk everything together. Add to the skillet. Cook until done. Makes 2 servings.
(Source: Black Bean Quinoa Salad)
Black Bean Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 large navel oranges, cut into segments
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup canned corn kernels, drained
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
For the orange vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon sugar
In a large saucepan of 2 cups water, cook quinoa according to package instructions; set aside.
To make the vinaigrette, whisk together olive oil, apple cider vinegar, orange juice, orange zest and sugar in a small bowl; set aside.
In a large bowl, combine quinoa, oranges, bell pepper, jalapeno, black beans, corn, onion and cilantro. Pour the vinaigrette on top of the salad and gently toss to combine.
French Toast with Banana
- 4 slices of bread
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp sugar powder
- 2 tbsp butter
- Mash 1 banana in a bowl, add milk and egg. Whisk together.
- Melt butter in a preheated pan. Dip bread in the batter from both sides, and fry it in a pan for about 5 min per side or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with sugar powder, cinnamon and/or drizzle some honey.
One Pan Honey Garlic Chicken
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 16 ounces baby red potatoes, halved
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 24 ounces broccoli florets*
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat with nonstick spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil, butter, honey, brown sugar, Dijon, garlic, oregano and basil; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- Place potatoes in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Top with chicken in a single layer and brush each chicken breast with honey mixture.
- Place into oven and roast until the chicken is completely cooked through, reaching an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, about 25-30 minutes.* Stir in broccoli during the last 10 minutes of cooking time. Then broil for 2-3 minutes, or until caramelized and slightly charred.
- Serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.
*24 ounces broccoli florets is equal to about 5 cups.
*Cooking time will vary depending on the size and thickness of the potatoes.
And here’s the bonus recipe! Very easy to do, healthy and tasty. I make it in a bigger bowl as a dessert for the whole family. You can double or triple the recipe if you want.
5 Minutes Apple Crisp
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- ¼ cup quick oats
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 2½ tablespoons whole wheat flour (divided)
- 2½ tablespoons turbinado or brown sugar (divided)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon (divided)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2-3 apples (about 2 cups chopped)
- honey for drizzling
- Melt the coconut oil in the microwave. Stir in the oats, pecans, 2 tablespoons of the whole wheat flour, 2 tablespoons of the sugar, ¼ teaspoon of the cinnamon, and the salt. Mix until well combined.
- Chop the apples and toss them with ½ tablespoon of the whole wheat flour, ½ tablespoon of the sugar, and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon.
- Layer a little spoonful of the oat mixture in the bottom of two 9 ounce ramekins or mugs. Top with about 1 cup of the chopped apples and heap the remaining oat mixture over the top. Microwave for 3 minutes and 30 seconds – the apples should be bubbling and the whole thing will reduce in size. Remove and let stand until cool enough to eat. Be careful because it’s going to be really hot at first! Also, the texture improves as it rests and cools. Drizzle with honey for an extra gooey kind of texture. Yum!