Taco Sweet Potato and Spinach Egg Bake
- 3 small (12 oz) sweet potatoes, coarsely grated
- 6 large eggs or 3 large eggs + 1 cup egg whites (my choice)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper, ground
- 1/2 tsp taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup any milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1/2 cup any cheese, shredded (I used full fat white cheddar)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp jalapeno, seeded & minced (for kid friendly I used 1/2 tbsp)
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, line 8 x 8 square baking dish with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.*
- In a large mixing bowl add eggs, salt, pepper, taco seasoning and whisk for 30 seconds. Add milk, cheese, cilantro, garlic, jalapeno peppers and whisk to combine.
- Add sweet potatoes and spinach, mix, transfer to prepared baking dish and bake for 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve hot, warm or cold.
*You could also use a non-stick muffin tin, just make sure to spray it REALLY well with cooking spray or use BPA-free silicone baking cups. I also like to double the recipe, bake in 9″ x 13″ baking dish and freeze for later. Please note, baking time will increase by about 20 – 25 minutes, depending on your oven.
Cut an avocado in half, the long way. Remove the pit. Get creative and stuff with your favorite salad, cuisine, or an egg.
Here are couple of options:
Pico De Gallo: Chopped tomato, red onion, garlic granules, jalapeño, cilantro, Himalyan sea salt, and lime juice.
Turkey BLT: Off the bone turkey breast, nitrate-free bacon, chopped tomato, fresh spinach.
Banana Protein Baked Oatmeal Cups
- 3/4 cup mashed overripe banana (1+1/2 large banana measured after mashing)
- 1/2 cup almond/soy/rice milk, unsweetened (I used almond)
- 1/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1+1/4 cup rolled oats (use gluten free for GF version)
- 1/2 cup vanilla plant-based protein powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Extra banana slices, for decorating
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and spray non-stick muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together mashed banana, milk, applesauce, coconut oil and vanilla extract. Add oats, protein powder, baking powder, baking soda and gently stir until combined. Fill each tin 2/3 full and top with banana slice (if desired). Bake for 15 minutes and then broil for another 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and muffins are ready to eat immediately. Serve warm or cold.
- 1 lb. ground chicken breast
- 2c grated zucchini (leave peel on)
- 2-3 green onions, sliced
- 3-4 Tbsp cilantro, minced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- (optional: ¾ tsp cumin)
- olive oil, for cooking (or coconut oil, avocado oil, or ghee)
- Toss chicken with zucchini, green onion, cilantro, garlic, salt, and pepper (and cumin, if using). Mixture will be quite wet.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Use a small scoop or a heaped tablespoon to scoop meatballs into the pan. Cook 8-10 at a time for about 5-6 minutes on the first side. Flip and cook an additional 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown and the centers are cooked through.
- Drizzle a bit of olive or avocado oil onto a baking sheet. Scoop meatballs onto the greased pan. Drizzle a bit of additional oil over the meatballs. Bake at 400 degrees 20-25 minutes, or until cooked through. If desired, place under the broiler for an additional 2-3 minutes or until browned on top.
- Serve with guacamole, salsa, or your favorite dip.
Spinach Artichoke Quiche Cups
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 package frozen spinach, drained
- 5 eggs, whisked
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2/3 cup milk (any kind)
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare 12 baking cups by either spraying them liberally with cooking spray, or lining them with paper liners.
Stir all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl until combined. Portion the mixture into the 12 prepared baking cups so that they are all nearly full.
Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the eggs are set and a toothpick inserted in the middle of the quiche comes out clean. Serve immediately.
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 8 oz lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh basil or 2 tsp dried basil*, plus more for serving
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (15 oz) container ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped, plus more for serving
- 2 1/2 cups freshly grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup freshly, finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup freshly, finely grated Romano cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 12 uncooked lasagna noodles
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Drizzle one tablespoon olive oil into a large non-stick fry pan. Heat over medium high heat, crumble ground beef over oil, add chopped onions and cook mixture stirring occasionally and breaking up meat, until browned. Drain fat from beef. Pour beef mixture into a food processor and pulse for about 5 seconds until it is ground into fine pieces. Pour beef mixture back into fry pan and add crushed tomatoes, minced garlic, basil, oregano and 1 tablespoon olive oil and stir. Season sauce with salt and pepper to taste then cover with a lid and simmer over low heat while preparing pasta and cheese mixture.
- Cook lasagna noodles in a large pot of boiling water along with 1 tsp salt and 2 tablespoon olive oil to al dente according to directions listed on package. Once noodles are cooked, drain and line noodles in a single layer on waxed paper or cookie sheets sprayed lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
- Prepare cheese mixture (I do this while pasta is cooking) by stirring together ricotta cheese, egg, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper with a fork in a large mixing bowl until well combine. Stir in chopped fresh parsley. Add in 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and 1/3 cup Romano cheese, stir mixture until well combine.
- Stir meat sauce and spread 1/3 cup evenly into a 13×9 inch baking dish. Spread 1/4 cup cheese mixture evenly onto each cooked lasagna noodle (it will be a thin layer), then spread 1 heaping tablespoon meat sauce along the top of cheese covered noodle. Roll noodles up jellyroll style and arrange seam side down in baking dish. Cover rolled noodles with remaining meat sauce then sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese evenly over roll-ups. Tent baking dish with foil (don’t allow foil to rest on cheese or it will stick you just want to loosely tent to prevent the cheese from browning) and bake for 35 minutes in preheated oven. Serve warm garnished with chopped fresh basil and parsley.
- *Along with the basil and oregano, you can also add in a little bit of rosemary, thyme and crushed fennel seeds if desired.
Breakfast Hash with Chorizo Eggs
- 4 C. diced red potatoes
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- couple shakes of salt & pepper
- Oil for cooking
- 1 pkg. chorizo
- eggs – 1 or 2 per person, depending on how many eggs each person wants
- Garnish: Shredded cheddar cheese, sliced green onions, chopped cilantro
- Dice potatoes into chunks. I quartered them, then cut the quarters in half, so I got 8 chunks per potato. Cut onion and orange bell pepper into similar sized pieces. Heat skillet and add some oil to cook the potatoes, onions and peppers. I like to cover the potatoes while they cook and continue to stir occasionally so they don’t burn.
- Meanwhile, brown/cook chorizo in pan, then add to potatoes. When ready to serve, add potato/chorizo mixture to plate and top with fried egg. Garnish with shredded cheese, sliced green onion and some chopped cilantro.
- Mix a couple eggs together in a bowl as you normally would for scrambled eggs. Add to skillet with potatoes and chorizo and cook, stirring, until eggs are cooked. Then garnish as noted above.
One Pan Balsamic Chicken and Veggies
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp Italian salad dressing (I recommend using Kraft light Italian it’s the perfect consistency for this and it’s what I used)
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp honey
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
- 1 1/4 lbs chicken breast tenderloins
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, trimmed of tough ends, chopped into 2-inch pieces (look for thinner stalks. Green beans are another good option)
- 1 1/2 cups matchstick carrots
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- In a mixing bowl whisk together salad dressing, balsamic vinegar, honey and red pepper flakes, set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste, then place chicken evenly in skillet. Cook about 6 – 7 minutes, rotating once halfway through cooking, until chicken has cooked through (meanwhile, chop asparagus and tomatoes). Add half the dressing mixture to skillet and rotate chicken to evenly coat. Transfer chicken to a large plate or a serving platter while leaving sauce in skillet. Add asparagus and carrots to skillet, season with salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring frequently, until crisp tender, about 4 minutes. Transfer veggies to plate or platter with chicken.
- Add remaining dressing mixture to skillet and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes to chicken and veggies and drizzle dressing mixture in pan over top (or return chicken and veggies to pan and toss to coat).
xo JANE xo